Monday, April 2, 2012

Where does inspiration come from?

Sitting in my Greek Philosophy class discussing the composition of Reality, pondering the really hard-stuff we hardly think about. I find myself coming back to one of the only absolute truths I believe there is: "You can't get something from nothing." It seems super simple and logical, but it complicates things immensely.

I have been watching House M.D. lately, and almost every episode finds House solving a mystery by a sudden strike of inspiration that seems to come out of no where. I often find myself working on a problem or puzzle and suddenly get a sudden (in the words of Watson) ejaculation of thought, a eureka moment.
Whether the answer suddenly pops into my head, or something leads me to think about a different approach, or a different way of thinking that leads me to an answer. I call this process 'Inspiration'.

So my question is where does 'Inspiration' come from? Since something, even thought, can't come from nothing, it must be derived from something.

Open-ended question.

2 comments:

  1. If I were one who believed we were nothing but dust, I would have to agree with you. Inspiration could not exist. But we are more than dust, are we not? We are a reflection of someone that always was - someone who necessarily exists as the "start" of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to agree with you. Taking a secularist point of view; one would see the logic of the Diests dogma, akin to that of Aristotle's 'Unmoved Mover' concept.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmoved_mover

      That in following the basic principle of cause and effect, it indubitably leads to the concept of a first cause, or first mover. Which is the concept I wished to explore regarding our intellectual inspirations.

      Delete